Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson’s puppy dies after eating ‘lethal’ mushroom

Only weeks after The Rock saved the pup from almost drowning


by Maria Vallahis |
Published on

Devastating news for Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson who had to say goodbye to puppy Brutus last night.

The Rock only saved the French Bulldog from drowning in his swimming pool a few weeks ago, but yesterday he and girlfriend Lauren Hashian had to take the pup off of life support after he ate a mushroom from the garden of the actor's Los Angeles home on Monday.

Hoping he could have saved Brutus 'one more time,' the 43-year-old posted a sad picture of himself with the little one captioned: "Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven.

"I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs.

"This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime."

Earlier this month, Dwayne saved Brutus after he jumped in the swimming pool with his brother Hobbs and sank to the bottom.

A soaked Dwayne posted his experience on Insta, saying: "I set them both down and they both take off in a full sprint and fall right into the deep end of our pool. HOBBS immediately starts doggy paddling while BRUTUS (like a brick) sink heads first to the bottom of the pool. I take off into a full sprint, fully clothed, dive in the pool, swim to the bottom, rescue my brick, I mean BRUTUS and bring him back to the edge of the pool.

"He was a little delirious.. took a moment, threw up all the water he swallowed and looked up at me as if to say, 'Thank God you didn't have to give me mouth to mouth!' and then ran off to play with his brother."

The day after this incident, The Rock had to take Brutus to the vet because he 'got sick'.

Poor Brutus had been through such an ordeal and sadly couldn't be saved after eating the mushroom.

Beyonce's 10 BEST holiday pictures:

Gallery

Beyonce's 10 BEST holiday pictures

BLUE11 of 10

BLUE1

BLUE112 of 10

BLUE11

BLUE33 of 10

BLUE3

BLUE44 of 10

BLUE4

BLUE55 of 10

BLUE5

BLUE66 of 10

BLUE6

BLUE77 of 10

BLUE7

BLUE88 of 10

BLUE8

BLUE99 of 10

BLUE9

BLUE1010 of 10

BLUE10

Just so you know, whilst we may receive a commission or other compensation from the links on this website, we never allow this to influence product selections - read why you should trust us